Thursday, August 25, 2011

Faith, Doubt & Reason

Have you ever had someone accuse you of being a person of great faith? Well my daughter and I were talking and she concluded that it was easy for me to have faith and believe God because he has done so many amazing and miraculous things in my life.


Well that got me thinking about doubt, faith and reason. I honestly shared with her that despite all that God has done in my life, and those around me, that I still question, just like she does, if this is all a big story. Not every day or every minute but when faced with the fork in the road I question. Yet I always come back to reason. Even if this is all a grand myth, my life is better for it. Never have I walked away from prayer, reading the word, or fellowship with believers ready to do something more selfish or stupid than when I started.

She also got me thinking about faith. She concluded that because God had done great things it would be easy for me to trust him for the next trial. I had the great revaluation that to walk in faith in a new situation never gets any easier regardly of how many times you have put your trust in God. I can know that God will come through but the need for faith in and of itself says you are in a terrifying, unknown, unpredictable, situation that is completely out of your control. The building blocks of past victories through faith help us to stay the course resting assured that His ways are higher than ours but they in no way decrees the challenge of walking in blind obedience.

Yet I bring it full circle for it is in those places where blind obedience is needed that I trust full well that God's plans are wise and will keep me and those around me from harm. For doubting and walking away from His plan is only birthed in a desire to satisfy my immediate selfish wants that even in the eye's of the world will eventually show my foolishness.

So I stay the course for doubt, for faith, for reason and in the midst of it all I find myself in God's presence glad that I trusted his plan for my life. Praise God, for faith is but needed for every NEW situation.  Once that new path is cut I can walk that one again.  For my garden use to be a wild uncut field.  Yet each new journey of Faith I walk cuts a new trail and brings more of his light to every new path he sets my feet to walk.

I thank my sweet Kay for asking me the hard questions and bringing me this great new revaluation on the cycle of doubt, faith and reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment